- Saturday, Sept. 12th: Family Fitness in the Park [see photos from the August Family Fitness event here!]
- Thursday, Sept. 17th: Picnic in the Park
- Saturday, Oct. 17th: Kickball Tournament [details coming--Sponsored by the Hanscom Park Neighborhood Assoc.]
- October (date TBA): Public meeting - Presentation of initial park enhancement designs!
Park Renewal Progress Highlights:
- Overall Project Status:
Pat (from the City Parks Department) has been hard at work on designs, with input and regular communication from the Hanscom Park Renewal design teams, but progress is temporarily on hold while the Public Works Department assesses everything that will be needed for the sewer overflow project. When that's done, the Public Works and Parks Departments will coordinate their plans and timelines, and some elements of the park plan and timeline may need to be adjusted.
In July, neighborhood kids gave input on their dream playground and now Pat is working their ideas into her designs. She's also looking at options for possibly relocating the playground. The Playground Design team will review Pat's initial designs in the next few weeks and give some feedback before they are presented at the public meeting in October. Stay tuned for further updates!
- Northeast Corner/Amphitheater:
Initial feasibility assessments have been done and it looks like there's a strong potential for an amphitheater in the northeast corner that would preserve the natural landscape while adding community space. While a lot is still dependent on what happens with the sewer overflow project and fundraising efforts, we are feeling optimistic! Right now the Northeast Corner Design team is trying to talk with possible users of the amphitheater... musicians, Zumba teachers, middle school choirs, etc., to find out what kind of features they'd need, and will try to include them.
In August, the Grants team submitted proposals for $175,000 in grant funds and we are eagerly awaiting the results!
In August, the Events team hosted a wonderful Family Fitness day in the park, featuring all-ages yoga and family fitness activities full of colorful balls, hula hoops, and parachutes! Come join us for the next one on September 12!
How You Can Help Now:
- Our Hanscom Park Renewal teams, ALL of which are comprised of volunteers from our surrounding neighborhoods (i.e., Field Club, Ford Birthsite, Hanscom Park), have been working hard on all these projects. However, if you've been watching from the sidelines, now is the time to get involved! It's a great way to meet some lovely people in your neighborhood and contribute to something you can forever be proud of!
- Watch throughout next week for Facebook (be sure to "Like" our Facebook page!) and NextDoor.com (be sure to sign up for your FREE account on NextDoor.com!) updates on ways that you can help!